Court Rules & Procedures

Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option

Warrant OperationsCourtProcedures1

The following outlines the options available for resolving an outstanding bench warrant at the West Wendover Municipal Court and the Eastline Justice Court:

  • Surrender yourself to the Elko County Jail at 775 West Silver Street, Elko, NV 89801.
  • Post full bail at the court and receive a new arraignment date.
  • Post and forfeit bail at the court (depending on the charge)
  • File a motion at the court and bring as much money as possible with you for posting.
  • Please note: With an active warrant, you are subject to arrest 24 hours a day.  You can be arrested at the courthouse.


In person:  Payments can be made in person from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Monday through Friday.  In-person payments include cash, check, money order, Visa, Mastercard, and Discover.

By mail:  For payments sent through the mail, only checks or money orders are accepted.  To ensure timely delivery, please mail payments early as we do not accept postmark dates as due dates.  For proper credit to your account, please include your case or citation number when mailing a payment.


A Motion is a written request to the judge.  Motions can be filed in person at the courthouse clerk’s office or faxed to (775) 664-2979.  Depending on the type of motion, you may be scheduled for an appearance with the judge.  Motion hearings are generally scheduled Tuesday’s and Thursday’s at 9:00 a.m. and at various times on the second Wednesday and third Friday of each month.

Failure to Appear

Failure to respond to any notice from the Court on or before your Court date or failure to pay any fine assessed against you by the Court will result in the issuance of a warrant for your arrest with accompanying criminal and civil penalties, including forfeiture of property, wage garnishment, and negative credit reporting.  Warrants may be punished by a maximum penalty of 25 days in the Elko County Jail and/or a fine up to $500.00.


If you are unable to appear on your scheduled arraignment date, you must come in person to the West Wendover courthouse for a new date and time, or you may fax a letter of explanation to (775) 664-2979 and must include your case number, current telephone number and address.  Your response will be mailed to the address provided on your fax.  Court dates and times cannot be changed over the phone.  This must be done at least ten (10) days before your scheduled appearance date.


Bond, bail, or bail bond is a promise that a defendant in a misdemeanor or felony case will appear in court when required.  This is normally guaranteed by the defendant or someone else posting money or a bail bond with the court.  There are four types of bail bonds:

  • Surety Bond
  • Ten-Percent Bond
  • Cash Bond
  • Personal Recognizance Bond

A personal recognizance bond is the only type of bond in which the defendant is released by pledging only his or her word to return to court.

Posting Bail

Bail may be posted at the clerk’s office during regular court business hours.  After hours, bail may be posted at the West Wendover Police Department (if they are still in custody), Elko County Jail, or through a bail bondsman.

Bail Refunds

Bail is typically exonerated (released) upon imposition of sentencing, however a Judge may order the bail to be held pending completion of court programs.

All outstanding fines and fees will be deducted from the bail posted.  Any funds in excess are refunded to the person listed on the bail receipt.  Bail posted on one can be used to pay for fines and fees owing on any other cases the defendant may have with the court.

All refunds will be issued in the form of a check within ten (10) business days.  Refund checks are mailed to the address given at the time of posting.  If the payee prefers to pick up the check or have it mailed to an address other than the one given, he/she must notify the Court prior to the court date set for that case.  If the Court receives notice of a change of address after the check has been mailed, the payee must wait for the check to be returned by the post office.  At that time, the check will be mailed to the new address or it can be picked up at the Court Clerk’s Office.